Like the three stooges, “Peter, Paul and Mary”, and the three little pigs, Habanero, Lime and Patron were always meant to go together. They, complete each other.
Keeping that in mind, I’d like to share the best spicy margarita recipe ever.
Being of Maya descent and in honor of the birthplace of the habanero, this recipe is based on the Yucatán three-part margarita.
I guess three will be a running theme in this post. Speaking of three, in Merida, Yucatán, the mariachis don’t do the serenading, it’s the “Trios.” This is a group made up of three guitars, hence trios for three.
The Yucatán margarita consists of three equal parts. One part tequila (Use the good kind 100% blue agave, we use Patron), one part Controy (Mexican orange-flavored liqueur, we use Patron Citronge) and one part freshly squeezed lime juice.
In technical terms:
- 1 oz. Patrón
- 1 oz. Patrón Citronge
- 1 oz. Freshly squeezed lime juice
You could use more than one ounce, just make sure the three parts are equal.
Now the fun begins.
You can finely chop a Habanero pepper or part of an habanero pepper. (I suppose a pepper with less kick will do too.)
Next, put all the ingredients in a shaker with ice and shake like the wind.
Strain into a martini glass for a Habanero Margarita Straight Up, or pour into a glass (rimmed with lime and salt). Add more ice if needed.
Garnish with a lime wedge or get fancy and cut a slice of lime, a sliver of habanero and use a toothpick to make it look pretty. Then enjoy.
Pour the Patrón, Patrón Citronge and lime juice in a blender add ice and an habanero pepper (with seeds if you’re brave) then blend.
This works better when making multiple margaritas that require more than 1 oz. per part.
Pour into a glass (rimmed with lime and salt) and garnish with a lime wedge.
Instead of using regular freshly squeezed lime juice, you can use a special habanero infused lime juice.
The habanero-infused lime juice is made by coarsely chopping a habanero and adding it to freshly squeezed lime juice. Yes, seeds and all.
Let it sit in the fridge so that the lime juice absorbs the habanero flavors. The longer it sits the spicier it will get.
You can use this habanero infused lime juice in Options 1 and 2 above instead of adding the habanero pepper.
The new recipe would be:
- One part Patrón
- One part Patrón Citronge
- One part habanero infused lime juice
Put the ingredients in a blender or shaker whatever option you prefer and enjoy.
I hope you enjoy this spicy margarita recipe. If you need more sweetness, you might like to add just a splash of Blue Agave sweetener.
But then, technically, that’s not a Yucatán margarita. My preference is without it.
I’m a purist, what can I say.
Yes I have discussed alcohol and as such will cover my you know what by publicly stating ‘Drink Responsibly’ 🙂
P.S. If you want recipes for non-alcoholic drinks that you can add chilies to, check out the Best Refreshers page for lots of great ideas!
- Salt and lime wedge
- Habanero pepper
- 1 ounce Patrón
- 1 ounce Patrón Citronge
- 1 ounce Freshly squeezed lime juice
- Pour coarse salt into a small plate. Rub a lime wedge around the top of your margarita glass, and then dip the glass in the salt to rim it. Add a few ice cubes to the glass.
- Put on a pair of gloves and finely chop the habanero pepper.
- Fill a cocktail shaker with ice. Pour in the tequila, Citronge, lime juice, and then add the chopped habanero. Make sure the shaker is closed and then shake it vigorously to mix everything up.
- Strain the drink into your glass. Optional: Add a lime wedge and habanero slice as a garnish. Enjoy!
- It takes about 2 limes to get the 1 ounce of fresh juice.
- Be sure to wear gloves when handling the habanero so you don't accidentally touch your face with spicy fingers!
- You can substitute your favorite silver tequila in place of the Patrón if you prefer.
- If you need more sweetness, you can add a few drops of splash of Blue Agave sweetener
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 1 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 174Total Fat: 0gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 588mgCarbohydrates: 14gFiber: 3gSugar: 4gProtein: 1g
View the Habanero Margarita web story.